Vintage Pecan

Friday, April 22, 2016

5 on Friday: It's all in the Details

Linking up with April over at A. Liz Adventures and others for 5 on Friday. I haven't done a link up in a while because well... I've been busy/lazy/just didn't care. Today I thought I'd share 5 details of our wedding that you may or may not have known about if you attended or if you are a stranger from the interwebs you might want to incorporate some of these ideas into your big day!

ONE- Here are my "something" details. Old was my handkerchief, I bought it about six years ago at an antique store in Hendersonville, NC. It was my grandmothers birthday weekend and we took a day trip from Greenville to the tiny mountain town. I found a bin full of old, vintage hankies and dug around until I found the one with an 'M' embroidered on it. Ironically, I went back to the same antique store with Will once when we were on our way to Asheville for our anniversary trip. My something new was my dress. Borrowed was my grandmothers diamond bracelet. And Blue was the satin ribbon on my garter. I also attached my sorority pin to my garter, and I wore Lilly Pulitzer Squeeze perfume.

A few of Will's details: his tie was made by the same designer as my bridesmaids dresses. I gave him his cufflinks and the pocket watch as wedding gifts. The front of the watch had his initials engraved on it, and the back had "I Love You 24-7."

TWO- We had my dog come to the church prior to the ceremony and take a few pictures. I wouldn't give a million dollars for this moment! I actually cried when I came down the stairs and saw her. Will doesn't like me to admit I cried over the dog and not him! But I loved her first. She was just precious and it was one of my favorite moments of the day!











THREE- At the reception we used a large bird cage (in keeping with our 2 T-Birds theme) that my parents used at their wedding reception nearly 42 years ago! The bird cage was used as decor in several houses that we've lived in, but for the last 20ish years it's lived under the house in storage. I've known for forever that I wanted to use it at my reception. Little did I know it would actually be the centerpiece of the theme! It was in need of repair and paint. My dad (who is handy!) welded broken pieces back together and then refinished it with white paint. It turned out so beautiful and we can't wait to find a place for it in our new home. Maybe one day we'll have a daughter who will want to use it in her wedding. 



FOUR- I really wanted to create two spaces to honor our relatives. Those that could be with us and those that could not. I gathered both our mothers bridal pictures, a picture of our parents on their wedding day, and our maternal and paternal grandparents on their wedding day. I had them enlarged to 8x10 black and white photos and framed them in a slim black frame. Then I had one of my bridal pictures printed in color and I framed it in a white and gold 8x10 frame. The contrast was more effective than I imagined and I loved honoring our parents and grandparents in this special way. 

I also honored and remembered those who we love so much but we know where there with us in spirit. We had a memorial table with pictures of us with our relatives/friends who have passed. We also used both our maternal great-grandmothers bibles to carry our rings. My dad had a great toast to us during our cake cutting that included drinking Diet Pepsi from our Waterford Crystal Champagne Flutes. My granddaddy (who passed when I was one) worked for Pepsi and shared a can with my dad and his mom every night. Daddy and my grandmother got a swig and granddaddy got the rest of the can. Dad poured Will and I a swig and he got the rest!








FIVE- We had not one, but TWO vintage cars to use for the day! We exited the church in a 1928 Oakland. It's the same car we used in our engagement pictures. I've waited the last 15 years to be able to use that car on my wedding day. The owner goes to our church and I have worked a number of weddings where the bride and groom used his car. I always told him he better still be driving when it was my turn to use the car!


We left the reception in a 50-something T-bird. This car was a surprise to me but I had actually figured it out! :) Will is the worst at keeping things secret! It was a fun and memorable car to leave in!

These are just a few of the detail I worked so hard  on to make our day special and personal to us! Such a fun day that we will always remember! 


Have a great weekend! Check back next week for less wedding and more "Bird Nest" updates! 

No comments:

Post a Comment