Vintage Pecan

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Inspirations

In my previous post, I mentioned that we are in the process of possibly buying a house. While not enough details are finalized for me to elaborate any more than that, it doesn't stop me from sharing a few inspirations for decorating our new home! I took a housing class in high school and college, so needless to say I've been waiting a long time to "nest." (I've decided that term doesn't have to just be used when you are expecting, because I'm definitely NOT!) I was lucky enough to be able to purchase my first home at the age of 22 and I started planning furniture placement, paint color and decor long before closing! Somethings don't change. I'm pretty much already there with this go round! Luckily, I have a fiance who trusts me to make interior design decisions and who puts up with me showing him my Pinterest board with all my ideas!

When I bought my house the last time I couldn't wait to put color on the walls. When I purchased it the walls were very vanilla, literally it looked like vanilla ice cream color on the walls. I purchased furniture with taupe color fabric and side tables that were dark cherry for the living room. My bed is also dark cherry, and at the time I was obsessed with a blue and brown color palette. I have the Vera Bradley Java Blue pattern bed skirt, message board and lamp shade. I had those items in my college apartment senior year and wanted to incorporate a very girly design into my master bedroom. It was perfect for a young single girl, but I am ready to "graduate" to an inviting couples retreat! My kitchen is currently the color of a firetruck. I couldn't wait to paint my kitchen a bold color! I LOVE red in a kitchen and it looks best at Christmas. I also collect antique kitchen utensils with red handles and display them on  my kitchen hutch. My guest room is a pastel yellow, called "yellow ribbon." It was actually the same color my nursery was when I was a baby. I paired pink and green with it and it is the cutest girly room ever!

Obviously, the last time I planned paint colors and decor I was obsessed with color! It's true, I'm a color person, not much in my wardrobe is bland! However, this time, I've decided to tone it down a bit. When we were looking at houses on the  market I saw one that had grey walls throughout the home. It looked good in every room, was relaxing and created a sleek modern look throughout. It was then that we both decided that we wanted that same look in whichever home we purchased. With the same color on the walls in every room we can add color in our decor and accessories! I contacted the Realtor for that listing and asked her for the shade and make of the paint. It was Sherwin Williams Agreeable Grey.
I found this fabric when I was browsing looking for fabric to recover some chairs. I instantly knew that I had to have it! I mean, it has birds on! I found it at a local fabric store and I'm hopefully going to look at it/purchase it Friday! I want to make three euro sized pillow covers for our master bed. I think it will compliment our neutral bedspread nicely and add some pattern/texture.


For the wedding mom found some champagne colored birdcages at Ross. After the wedding I want to hang them from the ceiling in the master bed room. I will probably add some battery operated candles to them to add some light and decoration. The picture below is similar to the ones I have in color, but are more ornate than mine. But mine do have the hooks, which is what made me think to hang them in our bedroom after the wedding!

Above the bed I want to put a cut out of our married monogram. I ordered one a few weeks ago from Groopdealz.com. (Ps. if you don't know about that daily deal site, acquaint yourself!) I got this monogram cut out for $7.99 plus shipping. What a steal!!! I haven't decided what color I'm going to paint it yet and if I'm going to mount it on something else or hang it with a ribbon. My intention is to use it somewhere at the reception as a decoration, but then eventually put it above our bed.
So basically, the master bedroom will be a mix of greys, browns, and metallics. Will doesn't think it's too feminine and I think it's very inviting and even a little romantic! I'm excited to see it all come together eventually.

Whenever we do purchase our home and start to move in, paint is the top priority! That will refresh the space and make it feel like ours. Of course, I will blog about it along the way and if I decide to take on any DIY projects that I've pinned I'll share those too! I intend to use my current bedding/decorations in our guest bed room. I can't quite let go of the blue and brown palette just yet. The walls will be grey, but I think that will make the blue and brown pop instead of blending with a light blue wall. The third bedroom will have my current guest bedroom furniture in it, including a desk. I will probably set up my sewing machine there and get to leave it out instead of having to put it up and off of my kitchen table. I'm so excited to have more than 1040 square feet to live in! We can each have a place to escape to and do our own thing! Again, more updates on the house we purchase when more is finalized, but I can't wait to share with you our new nest and the transformation to making it ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment